Backups are vital in the event of a system malfunction and to recover from data loss. This article will show you how you can keep your personal data safe on Nitrux using Kup.\
What is Kup?.
Kup is created for helping people to keep up-to-date backups of their files. Connecting a USB drive is the primary supported way to store data, but saving files to a server over a network connection is also possible for advanced users.
Here’s a detailed list of features.
- Backup types:
- Synchronized folders with the use of “rsync.”
- Incremental backup archive with the use of “bup.”
- bup is not installed by default, to install it run:
sudo apt -yy install bup --no-install-recommends
- Backup destinations:
- Local filesystem monitored for availability. That means you can set a destination folder which only exists when perhaps a network shared drive is mounted, and Kup will detect when it becomes available.
- External storage, like USB hard drives. Also monitored for availability.
- Manual only (triggered from tray icon popup menu)
- Interval (suggests new backup after some time has passed since the last backup)
- Usage-based (suggests new backup after you have been active on your computer for some hours since the previous backup).
In general, Kup tries to not disturb you needlessly.
Creating Backup Plans.
Nitrux offers its users the ability to back up their data using a tool called Kup since version 1.1.9 (July 27th, 2019). You can find Kup in System Settings.
To create a new back up plan, click the checkbox marked “Backups Enabled,” then click the button “Add New Plan.”
To add a name to this backup plan, click the textbox labeled “Description,” then select the type of backup you want. With Kup, there are two types of backup schemes supported, versioned, and synchronized; click on each to know which plan fits your workflow.
Next, select which folders Kup is going to include in your backup plan.
Now, you can select where Kup is going to save your backup. You can choose an internal drive, external drive, or network storage.
Kup also allows users to schedule when the backup happens.
For advanced users, Kup offers the ability to include or exclude hidden folders, verify the integrity of backups, and recover from a corrupted backup.