Today is the day! — Nitrux 1.3.3 is available to download
We are pleased to announce the launch of Nitrux 1.3.3. This new version brings together the latest software updates, bug fixes, performance improvements, and ready-to-use hardware support.
Nitrux 1.3.3 is available for immediate download.
- We’ve upgraded the kernel to version 5.6.0-1028.
- We’ve updated KDE Plasma to version 5.19.5, KDE Frameworks to version 5.74.0, KDE Applications to version 20.08.1, and Qt 5.15.0.
- We’ve reduced the size of the ISO file to 2.1GB from 3.1GB, for less bandwidth usage and faster download times.
- We’ve removed the Nvidia proprietary driver from the ISO file due to a bug with laptops using Optimus.
- Users that wish to use the Nvidia proprietary driver can do so by running the following commands post-installation.
- The first command will install the driver, the driver settings program, and the PRIME command, the second will add our configuration of the Nvidia driver for X11.
sudo apt install -yy nvidia-driver-450 nvidia-settings nvidia-prime sudo apt install -yy --reinstall nx-desktop-settings-legacy
- We’ve updated appimage-manager to version 0.1.2 (the command app).
- We’ve fixed AppImages not being automatically integrated into the menu when downloading to a managed directory.
- We’ve updated Firefox to version 81.0.
- We’ve updated Kdenlive to version 20.08.1.
- We’ve updated Inkscape to version 1.0.1.
- We’ve updated GIMP to version 2.10.20.
- We’ve updated LibreOffice to version 126.96.36.199.
- We’ve updated LMMS to version 1.2.2.
- We’ve removed w3m in favor of links2 as part of the CLI applications included by default.
- We’ve updated the appearence of the Plasma OSD (volume, keyboard layouts, screen brightness) to be less blocky.
- When using the tiling windows feature (Khronkite), the system tray plasmoids will be treated as regular windows.
- The Calamares-qml installer presents two issues that affect it’s usage when selecting the options “Replace” or “Install alongside.” Visit GitHub for more information.
- Users have the option to not use Calamares-qml and instead use Calamares, to do so run the following commands in the Live session.
sudo apt update sudo apt purge --remove -yy calamares-qml calamares-qml-settings-nitrux sudo apt install -yy calamares calamares-settings-nitrux --no-install-recommends sudo -E calamares -d
- The Regional Settings KCM does not display other languages than American English, this is a bug, and we have a bounty at Bountysource for anyone willing to fix it.
- cgroupfs-mount needs to be started manually, followed by dockerd to initialize the Docker daemon to use Docker containers.
- The Plasma (Wayland) session currently works better with Intel and AMD graphics cards. The session can work with Nvidia graphics cards, albeit with reduced performance.
- OpenGL acceleration is used by default. If you use Nitrux in a VM, open System Settings>Monitor>Compositor and select XRandr in addition to disabling desktop, effects like Blur for better performance.
- To utilize 3D acceleration in a hypervisor like VirtualBox, please use the guest additions ISO from Oracle, do not use the Debian packages from the repositories. For VMware Workstation and VMware Player, please use the package open-vm-tools-desktop from the repositories.
- The managed locations (and thus the default) for AppImages in Nitrux are /Applications and ~/Applications.
- AppImages launched from the application menu will be launched using firejail for sandboxing by default.
- The default user and password are nitrux.
- Changing the theme using the Global Theme KCM does not alter the Kvantum theme; to properly change the Kvantum theme, use Kvantum Manager.
- The Kvantum theme does not pick up the color-scheme that is selected using the Colors KCM since the Kvantum SVG theme engine does not work like that. When Kvantum is used, the color-scheme is complementary to the Kvantum theme, as the theme is already providing the colors for the UI widgets.
- Applications such as Discover and the Maui apps use QML and not QtWidgets like System Settings, Ark, KCalc, etc. So they are not themed to the full extent that QtWidgets apps are because Kvantum does not support QML adequately.
- We include two layouts for the desktop, one is the default top panel and bottom dock, and the other is a single bottom panel; Latte Dock uses both. To change between them, right-click the dock or the panel. Using the Global Theme KCM and checking “Use desktop layout from theme” does not change the layout.
- The Flathub repository is not added by default. However, it can be easily added either using Plasma Discover by going to Settings>Add Source or using the terminal and entering the Flathub URL as described in the Flatpak quick setup guide.
- Nitrux is exclusively a 64-bit Linux distribution; however, software like Steam (32-bit) can be installed using Flatpak, and Windows software can be run using Wine. See using Wine in Nitrux.
To report bugs, please use our bug tracker at GitHub.